As I knew how exactly my final piece wanted to look like it was only mater of time, creation and edit! I had decided to create as much I could until the deadline. I had made a timeline for what I was going to do every day, but unfortunately I had a problem with the particles, that they took me a huge amount of time!
Let’s see how I did the edits for the hole 1st part (just before the ball)
1. EDIT AT PREMIERE PRO!
make the basic edit and find wich scenes do I want to use and the way that I was going to use them! Match the scenes with the music! Make it seem like it had filmed with 3 cameras!
2. TRANSFER THEM TO AFTER EFFECTS – PRECOMPOSE EACH OF THEM
Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects combine perfectly! You can just copy and paste the footage from one program to the other!
After I ran a script called “Trim Compose”, to compose each of the scenes and leave 8 frames before and 8 frames after so that I would be able to change the length of each piece.
** Issues that I had: When I first tried to copy the footage from Adobe Premiere Pro to After Effects, for some reason AE didn’t let me to paste the files and keep pop up an unknown error! After 3 hours I figured it out… AE couldn’t find the files because the Folders in my PC were named with Greek characters! Premiere can read greek characters, but AE can’t!
3. GREEN SCREEN REMOVAL
Then I had to remove the green screen and put masks wherever that was necessary.
** Issues: Sometimes dancers went out of the green screen and I had to keyframe masks!
4. BUILT THE ENVIRONMENT
1st try (didn’t work):
** Issues: I could achieve better lighting effects in the floor and the background, but when I putted the particles I realised that this angle will make my life more difficult! Because the particle system would be 3D object too.
2nd try (90 Degrees):
After I created my environment, I had to place a camera to the hole video, make the environment 3D object and start animate the camera as the actual camera was in reality; so that the dancers seem like they are really exist in my fake environment.
5. PARTICLES (Didn’t expect to be so lengthy and painful procedure!)
** Issues: After a chat with Simon we realised that the problem was that it is like they are walk on the particles. There was no depth of field!
So I had to create a hole new system of particles. This time I had to do it with 3 (in some cases 4) different layers of particles to create the sense of depth of field, playing with the blurriness each time!
** Issues: REALLY confused with the parameters of particles! Specially at the beginning!
What I did with the particles was to go to each scene, keyframe the parameters each of the 4 particle systems, so that it would seem realistic and like they are actually in the middle of an area with particles.
On other try (fail). This particle system supos to be 3D. But for some weird reason didn’t work as a 3D layer.
6. REFLECT EFFECT and OPTICAL FLARES
For the reflection I didn’t actually wanted to be realistic. It could work for me as a weird effect (like duplicate).
Same for Optical Flares (as particles). I had to go to each scene and manual animate them so it would seem nice and realistic. After a chat with Simon; he suggested me to put more optical flares than those that I had put already.
****MAIN ISSUE: As you can see to the pictures below automatically Cannon 5D was keep changing the brightness and the contrast when we zoom in or zoom out! I really don’t know why that keep happening as we had ALL the settings to manual!
Those pictures are print screens from the filming (same clip, same day, same hour, same lighting!)
As you understand I had to apply different color correction effects for each piece of footage!
In general though that was exactly the colours that I was thinking about my final piece and I am glad for that!
As a conclusion of that wonderful post you will see some print screens of my final project, as I don’t want yet to publish the video (before I totally finish it!)